Spicy Green Mango

--Living and eating with a dash of whimsy and a sprinkling of spice--

  • I'm a budding food-tographer turned blogger who's insanely passionate about food..real food...the kind that sprouts from the earth and you have to wash it to eat it. Yes, hearty real food. I live to eat and I eat to live and am loving every bit of it! If you're here, then I suppose we share the same passion! Enjoy!


Posted by Spicy Green Mango 44 comments

{Voting for Challenge 7 opens now thru Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 6pm (PST).  Here's the link to vote for Spicy Green Mango by clicking on the heart! Don't forget you can also click on my Project Food Blog widget on the right hand column of this page. Thank you much, superstars!}

 **********
Eeek!  Really Project Food Blog? You want me to do what? Produce a cooking video? What in the H-E-double toothpicks is this all about? So yeah, while I am absolutely thrilled to have received the news that I'd advanced to Challenge 7, the other part of me felt like banging my head against a porcelain pho bowl -- hoping that maybe, I could just sneak off and like magic, I'd come back bursting with the bubbly enthusiasm of Giada de Laurentis or even the cool and collected (but oh so darling) demeanor of my Barefoot Contessa, Ina. 

VIDEO PRODUCTION:

Disclaimer:   I'm a total clutz in the kitchen.  Just read this blog and you'll understand what I mean :)
Video Credit:  Her awesomeness known as Elaine K. --- Hugs to you!! Thank you!





Step #1:  Figure Out Your Menu
Many moons ago in a previous post, I told you I'd have the recipe for my mom's famous Lao Chicken Noodle Soup (Khao Piak) for you down pat and then I realized yikes! I didn't!  When I started cooking, I never measured. Nope. Nada. Measuring cup or spoon? What are those?  As soon as I started blogging, I realized that things needed to change b/c unless I could tell you how I cooked my dishes, it would be of no use to you b/c you couldn't replicate it in your own homes. I know..I think I've grown up a wee bit since I first popped my head into the blogosphere.


So, the real secret to making the Lao version of chicken noodle soup is not in the broth, but in...

The NOODLES!!

Yes, those hand-rolled and sliced oodles of goodness that are just slightly chewy, but gooey, and melt in your mouth type of deliciousness.  Yum!  Made with equal parts tapioca flour, white rice flour and boiling water, this is pretty much as simple as it gets, folks!  No joke! And know what else? Jenn from Jenn Cuisine also tells me that they're WHEAT & GLUTEN-FREE!! Yay!

The REAL trick is to make sure that you incorporate the boiling water into the flour in your Kitchen Aid mixing appliance so that you get the proper consistency for the dough: nice, soft and stretchy to the touch.  This detail is VERY important because what happens when the water IS NOT boiling hot when you add it to the mixture is really a sad case:  you get dough that crumbles at the touch and really, it's like a dried-up form of Play-Doh that even the little kindergarteners refuse to play with at school. 


I think you'll appreciate the fact that even I, Spicy, who's cooked this so many times, can still manage to get it wrong. Cooking is really about experimenting and figuring out what works and what doesn't work and learning from the these little tidbits along the way.  And while my pictures may always appear that I can get it right all the time, the truth of the matter is that .....

I don't always get it right in the kitchen

.... and I've had my fair share of cooking debacles (my hubby can attest to this).  I'm only human and like you, I'm continually learning as I go along.  If this blog has been anything for me, it's really been a way for me to share my best memories and experiences with food and then, on those random occasions, I'd also be happy to shed light on my mishaps along the way. After all, striving for perfection is in it of itself an imperfection...at least it is in my blog, anyways!  So, that's settled, then. Wait..did I just digress? Okay, let's bring it back now.



Step # 2:  Tap into your Social Networks to Assemble your Team
Like any budding foodie director, I had to come up with a team of talented foodie friends whose ears would always perk up at the slightest mention that I'd cook for them in exchange for their kindness.  A few emails later (coupled with a promise to reciprocate the favor and give them first dibs at whatever I concocted), my lovely friend, Elaine, graciously offered to help me produce the video for this challenge.  Thank you, ELAINE!!!

Then, as I looked around my own little mouse hole of a kitchen that was not conducive whatsoever to filming, I realized I needed to enlist the generosity of a certain family whose kitchen I have been swooning over since I first laid eyes on it.  So, with their blessing in hand, the filming commenced and I even had a little visitor join me for the tasting.  Thank you, T-Fam!



Above, ooooh, golden little Chinese dough-nuts that I picked up earlier that morning.  So light, airy and crisp -- just divine when dipped into the savory chicken noodle soup. 


Step # 3: Recruit Adorable Little Critic(s) with Unbiased Appetites (and who provide you with the instantaneous validation you need to continue doing what you love :)


Meet Lil D. He's barely 2 years old, commands an astounding stature of 2 feet above the ground, and boasts an immense appetite for all things yummy! I think he beats my hubby for best critic. When Lil D. gets going, you would be hard pressed to separate him from his spoon. But he's a little heart breaker (and quite a good night kisser, if I might add) and if he had smiled (rather than have been so consumed with his noodle-mania), you would have seen his cute little fangs.

The little booger steals my heart everytime I see him and on this special occasion, I was more than happy to have him sample my creation. I totally felt like I was on Iron Chef with those panel of judges---wouldn't it be cool if those judges were all like Lil D? So easy to please. The verdict on Lao Chicken Noodle Soup? Well, it's Lil D-tested and Spicy Green Mango-approved. He even gave me a few kisses after his second helping to make sure I knew he was quite a happy little boy.



 Lao Chicken Noodle Soup (Khao Piak)
Yields enough noodles to bribe 6-8 people (into doing the dishes or whatever chores you have lying around) and make a happy little baby (feel like you're the best auntie ever)!

Part 1:  Homemade Lao-Style Noodles
Essentially, you need equal parts of each essential ingredient
  • 2 cups tapioca starch/flour
  • 2 cups white rice flour
  • 2 cups boiling hot water
  • 1/2 cup tapioca starch/flour (set aside for dusting the dough)

    Essential Kitchen Items
  • Kitchen Aid Stand mixer
  • Cutting board (sprinkled with dusting of tapioca starch)
  • Straight-edge knife (if you have one)
  • Rolling pin
  • Large stock pot
  • Sieve
Part 2:  Chicken-Ginger Broth
  • 12 cups water
  • 4 ginger slices
  • 3-4 tbs {good} chicken bullion (paste or dry powder form is okay)
  • 3 tbs fish sauce  (adjust to taste)
  • 4 bone-in chicken breast halves
HOW-TO:
For the Broth:  Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil, then simmer (45min - 1 hour).  Remove the chicken breast halves and allow to cool.  Strain hot broth through a sieve and transfer your now-clear broth back to the pot and allow broth to continue simmering on low heat.  Once the chicken has cooled, shred the chicken breast meat and set aside.

For the Noodles:  Combine the rice flour and starch in the mixer and then carefully add the boiling water. Using  your hook attachment, mix at the lowest setting for 3-5 minutes or until you see the dough form.  Remove the dough from the mixer and knead for 3-5 minutes by hand on top of a well-floured surface area. 

Divide the dough into little cylindrical logs (each log should measure up to your palm's lengh and about 3 inches wide).  Using your rolling pin, lay the log vertically in front of you and roll the dough into a long flat sheet.  At this point, if you have a pasta maker, you can definitely put it to good use and churn out evenly-sliced noodles.  However, if you do not own a pasta maker like me, follow these next steps: 

Once you have a long sheet of dough, turn it so that the dough is lying horizontally in front of you.  Fold the sheet in half, sprinkle with some extra tapioca flour to prevent the dough from sticking and slice into small, thin noodles. {Have fun with this part because it's handmade noodles after all and it's okay to have uneven slices in your broth}.

Putting it ALL Together:  Turn the heat of the broth to medium high and carefully lower the noodles into the simmering broth.  As the noodles are cooking, sprinkle a teaspoon of some fried garlic to give your soup an amazing aroma.  Cook the noodles for no more than 5 minutes or until they float to the top.  Ladle this savory soup into individuals bowls, spoon some of that shredded chicken breast over the top and garnish with your choice of the following:
  • Sliced green onions/cilantro/culantro
  • Fresh bean sprouts
  • Chili oil sauce
  • Fried garlic (yep, more of it!)
  • Chinese doughnuts (soooo good!) or a nice slice of your favorite bread
And that's it! Enjoy!




  




44 Responses

  1. Spicy! You video star you! Love it! and of course your photography is just fabulous:)

  2. Anonymous says:

    Heyyyy Spicy! Love the video--Stay Super!

  3. Chandara - absolutely LOVED your post and video. Your personality really shined throughout. I need to make homemade noodles. BTW - love your kitchen!!! Best of luck to you in challenge #7 - you have my vote!!!

  4. Lauren says:

    Loved your video! I love that you showed us how to make noodles. It's fascinating! You are a great host and have a fabulous on-camera personality.

  5. @Nancy: Thank you my dear! You're so sweet!

    @Anon: Nice! I shall (try!)

    @Lisa: It was a nervewracking process (possibly one that I will really need to polish) should I even advance. Having said that, I really appreciate your support for all my posts--so wonderfully awesome of you, Lisa. And the kitchen is my good friend's--but it's one that I drool over as well.

    @Lauren: Thank you so much! Noodles are not that hard to make (contrary to popular belief) and I hope that this video really encourages you to try your hands at it as the weather gets colder.

  6. Amelia PS says:

    Chandara: well done. I can't wait to make these noodles: amazing execution...and you're so cute.

  7. david says:

    That is a fantastic recipe! It has helped

  8. Jenn says:

    I totally LOVE your video - great job showing a very cool technique that I've never learned before - this is perfect for me too because the noodles are naturally gluten free! Can't wait to try it!

  9. ~Lisa~ says:

    Love iT! And I'm glad you didn't bang your head against a pho bowl, ouch! Voted lady (=

  10. Liren says:

    Awww, you're lovely on camera (but I already knew you would be since you're lovely in person). Waves to your team - Love T-fam's kitchen and Lil D is so cute - love how he rescues his noodle off the counter :) Good boy!

    Your noodles are beautiful, you make it look so easy!

  11. Wow, great post! Absolutely loved the photos and the final product looks so good. I want a bowl of noodles now. Good luck with PFB!

  12. @Amelia: (Blush) Thank you, Amelia. You're a doll.

    @David: Glad it's helped!

    @Jenn: I updated my post to give you credit for telling me it's gluten-free. Thank you!

    @Lisa: Awe, thank you sweetie! I also just loved your video with your cute little boy!

    @Liren: It's a ball of nerves and my me trying to figure out a new kitchen. I absolutely love how you noticed that little detail about Little D...he totally made me melt when he rescued his noodle! I laughed my butt off when I saw it.

    @moowiesqrd: Thanks so much!

  13. Trish says:

    Great video, Chandara! Wow, you made noodles from scratch - soup sounds so yummy! Great job, and beautiful kitchen by the way! You have my vote!

  14. Very nice job with the video, the recipe and the photos. Good luck.

  15. Delishhh says:

    YUM! I make Thai soup all the time and i am going to use your noodle recipe. Great video.

  16. A dish I will totally be making - and I love those moments when you let go and laugh and show us your funny side. Very enjoyable - cheers!!

  17. Very cute, and I definitely want a bowl of noodles now!! Great job!

  18. Yum! This looks delicious. Well done on the homemade noodles! Your boy is so cute. Just voted for you!
    Heidi xo

  19. Unknown says:

    I don't leave nearly enough comments on your blog but hey you already have tons of fans to provide you wonderful feedback. Just know that (not through posts) that I'm your #1 fan! I'm lucky to tell you in person and at your amazing dinner table! I LOVE this blog, not because I was a lucky taster of your infamous Lao chicken noodle soup, but is really epitomizes the personable and fabulous you! You're my inspiration. I love you!

  20. What a lovely friendly style you have in front of the camera. The Noodles look amazing. Good luck as you progress through the rest of the challenges.

  21. Great video! Your soup looks delicious and I'd love a bowl right now since it's snowing here. Good luck on the challenge!

  22. You definitely had me at "strap on a life vest or a freaking apron" HA!

  23. Serene says:

    This is awesome! I can't wait to try those noodles. Yum!

  24. Wonderful video and post...
    Very well done and a fantastic tutorial :)

  25. Nancy says:

    I love the recipe, looks delicious. Your video is very nice and laid back, like having a friend teach you.

  26. Unknown says:

    Of course you're not crazy for making your own noodles (lol - look at my post if you don't know what I'm talking about). That dish looks FANTASTIC - thanks for breaking down the process for all of us. :)

  27. Anna's Table says:

    Loved your laid back and friendly approach. Great tutorial. Best of luck with the challenge.

  28. Jeannie says:

    Wow, I have lots of respect for people who made their own noodles! Great job and looks damn tasty too!

  29. I loved your video! I esp loved hearing you laugh and smile, you can really tell you enjoy making these noodles and soup. I can almost feel the warmth from the soup after just watching you make it! You definitely got my vote. :)

  30. Unknown says:

    I can so relate to what you said about never measure while you cook. After I started my blog it took me double the time to make a dish since I have to remember to write everything down. As a noodle lover, I'm impressed with anyone that makes their own noodles. I really enjoyed your video. You seem so natural in front of the camera and didn't look rehearsed or forced. Good job and good luck!

  31. @Trish, Foodalogue, Delishhh, Julie, Cuisinerd & Heidi: Thank you very much and I am really happy you'll be making them.

    @Jenny T: Awe, I love you, too, dear. You're a sweetheart and I am so grateful for your friendship (as always)

    @Hester, Lindsey & Serene: Many thanks for our vote of confidence and can't wait for you to try them out yourselves!

    @Magic of Spice & Spicy Foodie: Lovely names (love my spice!) and glad you enjoyed the video of me being silly.

    @TinyUrbanKitchen: You're such a superstar with your own noodle whacking talents :) Love it!

    @Anna's Table & Jeannie: Thanks and see how easy they are? You can totally do it too and let me know how it turns out.

    @Cilantropist: So great seeing you in SF and thank you so much for the vote!

  32. Winnie says:

    I loved watching and listening to you- you're amazing! Those noodles look terrific, as does the soup, and the photos on this post are just gorgeous as well!

  33. elpi says:

    Thanks for the tips, i will try this noodles for my younger brother hope they will like it.

  34. mel says:

    this is a perfect noodles i have seen, im gonna try this.

  35. David says:

    I loved the video and the pics. Great work there.

  36. Krissy says:

    You really shined through this video. Great job. The food looks great as always. Hope you take the final prize :)

  37. zmm says:

    Great Job.. love the little tester there.. :P
    Hmm.. I'm going to try to make some of this soon.

    I missed the voting period but will definitely watch out for you the next round.

  38. Justin says:

    that's a cool video. i'm almost inspired to try making noodles like that myself... i say almost because i live so close to Chinatown in NYC where i can get amazing noodle dishes for so cheap, it doesn't quite seem worth the effort to make them from scratch. but it would be a fun project to try once i think, just like making fresh Italian pasta at home. i've tried that before, but it seems like a lot of work to do it on a regular basis. anyway, it's cold here today and i could go for a bowl of the soup right now.

  39. Esef Ong says:

    Oooooo yesssssss! Thanks for sharing... I finally found the recipe for this rice noodles! I want to be your neighbor (and tether too!) anytime! You looked fabulous and so was your Lil D... He's going to remember very well this event and more to come for his 'mae' home cook meals!

  40. Esef Ong says:

    Ooopsie... I meant to say 'mae pa' for Lil D ...My blunders :-)

  41. Unknown says:

    you post such a innovative things. Thank you a lot for your great effort. good performed

  42. Unknown says:

    you post such a innovative things. Thank you a lot for your great effort. good performed

  43. Unknown says:

    This is a great article.I am y much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.
    Mango exporter in Pakistan

  44. Karma Eco Adventure is a leading travel and trekking company based in Kathmandu Nepal dedicated to help travelers in the country with personally crafted tours and trek .

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Subscribe to My Blog

Subscribe Here