Spicy Green Mango

--Living and eating with a dash of whimsy and a sprinkling of spice--

  • I'm a budding food-tographer turned blogger who's insanely passionate about food..real food...the kind that sprouts from the earth and you have to wash it to eat it. Yes, hearty real food. I live to eat and I eat to live and am loving every bit of it! If you're here, then I suppose we share the same passion! Enjoy!


Posted by Spicy Green Mango 15 comments

Football season is upon us yet again this year. Whereas for many, the game is pretty much THE highlight of football fanaticism, being the foodie that I am, I actually get psyched over the tailgate parties that are always a welcome precursor to the official festivities. Hey, a winning team's got to eat, am I right? So, for all my die-hard football fans out there, I'm stepping out of my comfort zone and whipping up what I like to call: "A 'Kickin Chile con Carne" that is chock full of spices and sabor (means flavor in Spanish). While the orgins of chili remain a hotly debated topic--some say it's from Spain, others claim it was originally a Latin American dish that was later introduced to the Western American states such as Texas where it is now considered its official dish--nobody can deny that its mass appeal really has to do with its 'kickin combination of flavors of some smokey spicy goodness.  Wherever its true origins lie, chili has never made its debut in my kitchen. So, I figured, "Why the heck not?" The dish will seriously leave your tasters begging for an icy cold beer (or two) b/c it's going to make you sweat, but that's the way I love it best.  You can tweak the spice level to your own liking (Don't worry--I won't judge). 

While I must confess that I've never truly been a football fanatic to the extent of my own circle of friends and Cal Bears (I know, I know..please don't hate me), I have, however, ALWAYS supported my team. During my freshmen year at Cal, all clad in my blue and gold gear, I vividly recall hitching a ride on the Chancellor's trolley to be chauffeured to the stadium before cheering my little heart out in the student section. A couple years later, I was found performing the same stint on the infamous Tightwad Hill (yup, times were tough as a student) before jumping the fence to celebrate Cal's win. (And that, dear friends, was pretty much the extent of my wild college days -- ). I know, I'm such a wild child. Whoah!


VOTE NOW!
To lend your support for Spicy Green Mango and read more about Challenge #2, please show your love by clicking here on the heart or on my Project Food Blog widget to the right of this screen.  Voting ends on Thursday, September 30 at 6pm PST.  I'm so grateful for all my amazing fans who've shown their love thus far, so I'm giving you a sneak peek of what I'm planning for my next challenge should I advance!
























'Kickin Chili con Carne
(Makes more than enough to feed 6 hungry souls)

 What' You'll Need:
  • 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
  • 4-5 tbs of dried/ground chili pepper mix (paprika, cayenne, ancho)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 3 large vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 (2.25 oz) can ripe black olives, roughly chopped
  • 10 fresh green beans, cut into 1" pieces
  • 1 (7.25 oz) can El Pato hot tomato sauce
  • 5 Embasa chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, roughly chopped
  • 1 1/2-2 tsp seasoned salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
  • 1 (15.25 oz) can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 16 oz beef broth
Instructions:
  1. Heat the garlic in a hot pan with oil until nearly brown then add chopped onions and sautee until translucent.
  2. Add the beef along with all the dried spices & seasonings and stir for a few minutes before covering everything for 10-15 minutes or until meet is cooked.
  3. Add all the vegetables (tomatoes, beans, olives, chipotle peppers) and bay leaves and stir for a few minutes - drain any excess fat if desired.
  4. Add the fresh thyme, hot tomato sauce and pinto beans along with the beef broth and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
Garnish:  Spoon a dollop of sour cream over chili and sprinkle with cheese, chopped tomatoes & cilantro.  Scoop some of this kick-a$$ chili with your favorite tortilla chips and you've got a damn good meal--good enough to take your team to victory (okay, I may be slightly exaggerating..just a tad...but at least your tailgating parties will be winners).

Categories:

15 Responses

  1. Chandara - first it was great to meet you at the dinner party last night! Great job on your post and I would love to have a bowl of that chili right now since I have not had lunch yet. Best of luck to you with the contest!!!

  2. Jean says:

    Chandara, very happy to meet you last night!

    I've never made chili myself so this was a good post for me to read. I'm embarrassed to say that when the chili craving hits, I go for the can of Hormel. This is way better! I'll be voting for you tomorrow. :-)

  3. @Lisa: Awe, you're so sweet. It's so great your hubby is supportive of your food blogging..aren't they just the best?

    @Jean: OMG---we MUST eat together, again. I'm serious about stinky foods being the best! And yes, you should try this chili versus the canned stuff when you get a chance.

  4. Yummy!! This looks delicious! You have my vote!

  5. Great pictures. That looks so yummy :)

  6. @Amy & Amanda: Thank you, ladies. I appreciate every single vote from my lovely fans.

  7. Unknown says:

    I was supposed to have a guest post on my blog, but it's been delayed by two (apparently heartbreaking) Cal football losses. At risk of losing content, Go Bears!

    Your chili looks great, I love the bowls you serve it in. You've got my vote!

    Lick My Spoon

  8. Anonymous says:

    It looks yummy and colorful, great picture taken. One more vote for you and Good luck my dear.

  9. Trish says:

    Looks delish. I've never made chili this way before but sounds great. Always good to have tailgate ideas. Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing ;)

  10. @ Lick my Spoon: Go Bears! Have some chili the next time you're watching a game...hopefully with us winning.

    @Anon: Thank you!

    @Trish: Thanks, Trish! I put my own spin on it by adding more fresh veggies and spices. It's hubby approved and brother gave it 2 thumbs up and they don't sugarcoat their approvals at all :)

  11. This looks scrumptious! And great pics. Good luck!

  12. Amelia PS says:

    gorgeous photos. You have one of my votes (see my post here: http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/2/view/869)

  13. Liren says:

    Growing up, chili was one of those things I just kinda passed over, since it never seemed to hold as much promise compared to the delicacies my family would cook. But I remember the first time I tried a GOOD bowl of chili - what a transformation! Yours looks SOOOO good, it'll be perfect for these chilly (or chilli?) days ahead! My hubby is a big fan of chilli so I'll definitely be trying your version :)

  14. @Russell & Amelia: Thank you very much and you will also have my vote!

    @Liren: This chili is hubby approved and he is my most honest critic. I was VERY pleased with the way it turned out b/c I added my own touch to the recipe. Hopefully, T. will enjoy it!

  15. Anonymous says:

    What a yummy delicious!!! looking food. Beautiful picture and interesting recipe. I give you a score of 100/100. Great job and one more vote for you. Good luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Subscribe to My Blog

Subscribe Here